Steven Ramirez's Reviews > Unspeakable Things

Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourey

Lilydale is the polar opposite of the idyllic paradise people usually think of when you mention a small town. In this place, there are secrets—lots of secrets. And they begin with the parents of a middle-school girl named Cassie. Though she and her sister appear to be fine, they know they need to keep silent about the goings-on in their own home, mostly centered around their father. A dark threat hangs over them like a poisonous cloud. And, to survive, they must hold their breath.

But then, things become worse. Inexplicably, young boys go missing for a time, then reappear, damaged and sullen. There’s a sexual predator loose in the town, and, although the police establish a curfew, they don’t seem to be doing enough to find the villain. Meanwhile, Cassie conducts an unofficial investigation, putting herself in danger and opening doors that are better left closed.

I enjoyed this novel, but I warn you, it is disturbing. Based on a real case, the author Jess Lourey has painted a picture of a slow-burning hell where children are at risk, and most of the adults are corrupt in one way or another. If you enjoy stories of mystery, suspense, and dark souls, then Unspeakable Things is for you. But don’t be surprised if, after reading it, you crave something—anything—to make you laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspeakable Things.

Started Reading
February 7, 2020 – Finished Reading
February 9, 2020 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Reading Divergence Beautiful review! I seem to be in a rut of "dark-small-town-ugly-secrets" lately, the latest being that I've just commenced Unspeakable Things. [Sigh] (4th consecutive "dark")

Steven Ramirez Reading Divergence wrote: "Beautiful review! I seem to be in a rut of "dark-small-town-ugly-secrets" lately, the latest being that I've just commenced Unspeakable Things. [Sigh] (4th consecutive "dark")"

Glad you liked the review. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.