Jo Reads Romance's Reviews > The Two-Date Rule

The Two-Date Rule by Tawna Fenske

Fresh and fun and then some
4 stars

How cute is that blurb? It ticks all my boxes for a sweet and enjoyable romance. And by and large it lives up to that promise.

This book was quirky, fresh and fun. I enjoyed Ms Fenske’s writing style and it was very readable and kept you interested in the story and the characters. While this is a cute storyline overall, there is still a little more depth here what with Willa’s background and childhood, and Grady’s own issues about the future. Oooh - I just realised that one’s afraid of the past and one’s afraid of the future. Ha! Pretty sure I should have realised that before now!

I was convinced that Tawna Fenske used to write for the Harlequin Blaze line - a line that I adored! - but I must have been mistaken. I think it’s a fair comparison to make as we have two strong characters who know what they want, good writing, interesting situations and some sizzling sex thrown in for good measure. While I’ll take any kind of hot sex in a book, I liked that while there’s the rush of lust with our main couple, it never seemed too soon or lacking emotion - since the pair had a connection from the first time Willa mistakes Grady for a stripper!

Willa herself is a strong, successful woman. She knows what her plan is and even knows how her childhood has moulded her as a person. On the surface, she’s not normally my kind of heroine as I sometimes feel a bit of shade when someone has their life together!! But Willa is very likeable in a lot of different ways. Her wonky pets, her quirks and anxieties, her honesty - and the way she doesn’t shy away from her attraction to Grady. She reacts like anyone would react when they find a hot guy who likes them but also has dating rules. She goes with the flow - even if she’s not comfortable.

Grady is most comfortable going with the flow and I loved the way he tried to cajole Willa into just one more non-date. It was so darn cute. He has his own journey but all the while he’s supportive of Willa and I love that. I also love that he’s hot and has a sexy job. And the man can knit!

The only reason that the story dropped a star for me was because I felt Willa freaked out one time too many regarding a future relationship with Grady. The ending did almost make me forget about that fact as it was just lovely. While I do sometimes like it when only one of our couple has to apologise and make amends - having them both make compromises and come together at the end made my little heart pitter pat and made me think that this couple would definitely last.

I’m excited to read the next book in this new series all about the hot Smokejumpers. I was intrigued by Kayla and Tony’s relationship in this current book. Are they a future couple? Or was that just a red herring? I’m interested to find out and will definitely be popping the next book onto my wishlist.

4 stars for this one and a recommended read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two-Date Rule.

February 9, 2020 – Started Reading