Lena Tumasyan's Reviews > Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don't

Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier

Apr 24, 2012

it was ok

I read the book chapter by chapter by chapter and tried to follow along with the exercises, but I have major reservations about those exercises and the thinking behind it.

Before I get into that... I must mention that the book title is clearly misleading. "Science of attracting more of..." is definitely NOT a science. I read this book with the intention of learning if the universe really does align with wants and fears. the word "science" in the title denotes facts, figures, studies, studies, experiments and research, of which there were NONE.
So a more apt title for this book is "A HOW TO GUIDE to using Law of Attraction." Because there is zero science and all "how to steps". Perhaps if I had read a true science book, then I would have felt more confident in the exercises, alas I continued as best I could because I really do want to get the things I want, so it was worth a shot.

Okay... some of my gripes about the exercises:

1. It was all internal thinking that was not connected to the outside world. step a - you decide what you want, step b - you "allow" this to happen, step c - if things are not going your way then YOU find little clues as to how they are working. which should lead you to attracting more things. This is a problem. Why? Because how do you know that those "clues" are really happening because of you, or are you just misguiding yourself into grabbing onto anything remotely connected to your goal/desire?

2. The whole process is self-delusional. "You think it and the law of attraction will make it happen." Well, thinking i will fly and believing it with all my heart won't give me wings if i jump off the roof.

3. In the exercise that tells you to list as many things to describe your desire as possible, the author recommends 50 -100 things. Well, I'm seeking an ideal romantic relationship and it's hard enough to find one person that has 5 qualities you want, let along 50 to 100. It's a statistical fact, the more you want, the less likelihood of finding all those COMBINED.

4. Finally, about defeating self-limiting beliefs. Well some beliefs are truly in your head "I can't do this" "I am ugly" "Noone wants me". Other beliefs are actually facts. "There are few foreign people living in a certain neighborhood." "I am short" "I won't be hired in the corporate world with such and such tattoo/piercing, etc." These are quantifiable things and in fact, you do know these to be true. Are there exceptions? Rarely. And if you've tried to apply to many corp jobs you'll KNOW they want you to change and if you're SHORT you know there's nothing you can do, and if you want someone that speaks a different language then the rest of the neighborhood, and you've seeked these people out time and time over and they don't exist, well, that's true. that's not a belief.
So my reservations about certain things coming true are based on FACT not based on BELIEF. Yet the author wants us to ignore that and I just CAN'T.

So I suppose that's what threw me off the tracks. It's not just the lack of science and research (I could read that later). It's not the positive thinking statements (I agree with those. For example, say "walk slowly" instead of "don't run" and say "I am working on getting the..." instead of saying "I don't have the..."). I agree with certain people/places/things giving off good vibes or bad vibes.

It's the circular delusional statements, and its disconnection with reality that threw me off. Just thinking "I want the perfect relationship with this many qualities" won't make it happen because there are facts you can't ignore.

Now, psychologically speaking, this book I think creates more awareness in your mind about the things you're seeking. It's a fact that the more you repeat something the more likely you are to recognize it when it is happening. So maybe this entire book is not the law of attraction in the universe, it's actually mental repetition exercise to help you remember what you want and therefore recognize it more quickly when it comes along. And the "clues" are reinforcements to that.

Ultimately if there is no universal force acting upon your wishes, and it's just psychology, then, why do we need this book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Law of Attraction.

April 23, 2012 – Started Reading
April 24, 2012 – Shelved
May 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Fabrice Goosens Great review. And you're right. It's not science and I also don't even see how it's a law either. Like the law of gravity for instance.

Etienne It is law and science in light of Quantum Physics... It's broadly understood now that we live in a vibrational universe and that those vibrations carry frequencies. Just like music, color of the sun, thought, etc. Anyway, the premise is that everything attracts more of itself. I find it fascinating that this matches up with every religion in that they all believe that the thought-form exists before the manifestation happens.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Dinan I think of the Law of Attraction as a philosophy rather than a science. The people who promote this seem to feel that if they call it a science they'll get more takers. Another rather ridiculous promotional technique is to associate the Law of Attraction with successful people. Assert that Thomas Edison or Albert Einstein used it! Still, the Law of Attraction works as a philosophy, I think, as long as you don't expect miracles.