Rachael Wade's Reviews > Tempting the Best Man

Tempting the Best Man by J. Lynn

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: crack-books, favorites

This story is a culmination of everything Jennifer Armentrout is a master at: writing great characters you connect with and want to root for, creating sizzling hot chemistry between the love interests, and making the characters feel like real people you might run into on the street. Tempting the Best Man is a funny, sexy, romantic story about two twenty-somethings who were friends long before they ever got together. But the whole don't-want-to-ruin-our-friendship factor is not the only thing holding these two kids back from being an item. Hang-ups, particularly on Chase's side, keep them from moving into romantic territory.

And Chase's reasoning is a touching, sad one. His father never really loved his mother and had no problem cheating on her and flaunting all the women he ran around with. Because of this, Chase's biggest fear is that he is--or will be--exactly like his dad. It takes a heart warming (and humorous) discussion with his brother to realize that by allowing that train of thought to rule his life, the fear and pain he's living out is all in vain because it's really just enabling their father's past to continue wreaking havoc on his present and future. It's only when Chase realizes this that he is ready to face those fears and change directions. But will Maddie welcome him with open arms after what he put her through? Does he want her to?

This is a contemporary romance. It's light and funny as most stories in this genre are, but it also has real heart and some substance, which I really appreciate. It didn't feel shallow or fall flat. Like Maddie, I found myself wanting to strangle Chase much of the time, but as a reader, I also really empathized for him and wanted to see him figure it out. His struggles were endearing, and they were what made me so invested in the story. All in all, this is a very fairytale-type love story and I loved every minute of watching Maddie and Chase play cat and mouse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempting the Best Man.

April 24, 2012 – Shelved
April 25, 2012 – Started Reading
April 25, 2012 –
20.0% "What can I say? The woman is a genius."
April 25, 2012 –
20.0% "What can I say? The woman is a genius."
April 25, 2012 –
35.0% "Crap. Can't put this down."
April 25, 2012 – Shelved as: crack-books
April 25, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
April 25, 2012 – Finished Reading

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog So have you gotten off your couch yet or are you glued to your Kindle like Maria and I were? LOL. =)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog YAY!! Way to ignore everything and plow through this. I'm so proud of you! LOL

Maria Yayyyyy!!! I'm proud of you too, way to finish a Book in one day!!! Woot Woot!!

Rachael Wade Maria wrote: "Yayyyyy!!! I'm proud of you too, way to finish a Book in one day!!! Woot Woot!!"

Yeah, this was a one-day read. Couldn't put it down!:D

Rachael Wade Tessamari wrote: "YAY!! Way to ignore everything and plow through this. I'm so proud of you! LOL"

Hahaha yes Tess, work just had to wait. I tried to go back to work, I really did. But it just didn't happen.