Beverly's Reviews > Mastiff

Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

Apr 24, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

Book summary: The Legend of Beka Cooper gives Tamora Pierce's fans exactly what they want—a smart and savvy heroine making a name for herself on the mean streets of Tortall's Lower City—while offering plenty of appeal for new readers as well.

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal.

Pierce's Beka Cooper series is one of my all time favorite young adult series. The writing is fantastic. I actually listened to all the books on audio and the narrator did a fabulous job with Pierce's words.

What I liked about the book: Cooper is a very strong female character, with a heart of gold. She makes an excellent role mode for young women. In fact all of Pierce's characters are very well developed with a great deal of depth. It's an adventure story, with moments of fast paced action mingled in with slower times of reflection. There's a bit of a mystery and I have to admit I was stumped. The revelation of the traitor really caught be by surprise. I love a good book that keeps me on my toes.

What I didn't like about the book: Loved it all. I highly recommend this series for anyone who is looking for an all around good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastiff.