Julie's Reviews > The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

Sep 02, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobooks

The concept gets an A, the execution gets a C. The book is just a mess! In serious need of editing and rearrangement. I was often confused because it was hard to tell reality from dreams from hallucinations from delusions from memories. There were a lot of good ideas, but so many of them were totally unnecessary and others weren't fully fleshed-out. The author should have saved some of those ideas for other stories and developed them further (and maybe she will). As the book went on, the author seemed to gain more control of her writing and her story, but by then, it was too late. The damage had been done. Interesting ideas, dark and damaged characters (an understatement!), but lots of problems with the plotting and the writing drag the book down. With some assistance, though, the author could produce some interesting work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.

Cathy I really agree with what you have said, but there was still a lot to like in the writing which made it all the more frustrating that the plotting wasn't handled better - it could have been outstanding!

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb Totally agree with you. Very disjointed. The story was great but as you said the execution was off.

Alisha Lopez Very well written review and I completely agree with you!

Renee I totally agree!!!!

Katrina I think the disjointed storytelling was intentional to show us how disjointed life is for someone who is suffering dissociative disorder and/or PTSD.