Rick's Reviews > The Local Angler Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas

The Local Angler Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas by Aaron  Reed

bookshelves: non-fiction

Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas is a Fly Fishing lover’s need to see book. This how to book is a direct, clear, and comprehensive, account of fly-fishing in the Austin Texas area. The author, Aaron Reed, is an award winning outdoor writer.

Reed starts his book with the many reason he fishes, where he fishes and the supportive community he fishes with. The organization of the book is outlined and his rating criteria are described. He moves on to a discussion of ethical fishing and then before getting into the water descriptions he discusses gear and lures suitable to the Central Texas area. Locations and entry points are described for North, Urban and Southern areas around Austin, Texas. He breaks up the book with a fish guide for Central Texas, a discussion about taking children fishing, and then a discussion about the legalities of fishing rights in Texas.

I am a fly fisherman who has never been fishing Texas, but because of this book, my first impression is that it is beautiful. The waterways are highly variable and there are a tremendous variety of fish to catch. This is all represented in the book using beautiful photography, which makes the book attractive to all users. Although limited in its geographic scope the book is comprehensive. You get a list of local shops, clubs guides in Central Texas to get you started.

In my opinion, one should not go fly fishing in Central Texas without this book in hand. Even if you don’t fish but are a naturalist looking for beautiful areas to sit, walk or wade this is still the book for you. I highly recommend this book and I give it a 4 on 5 only because if its limited geographic scope which may limit its audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Local Angler Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas.

February 5, 2020 – Started Reading