Tyler's Reviews > Lunar Park

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

M 50x66
Apr 24, 2012

3.5/5

I'm not the most well-read guy on Bret Easton Ellis, not by a long shot. And I should be better read considering I enjoy the guys writing style quite a bit. I like the minimalist style, and I enjoy his brand of satire.

But it was interesting to me how he made a memoir that was mostly fiction, and used that to examine a bunch of different themes such as family or even writing. That he made it a suburban gothic horror makes it even more fascinating.

I won't pretend to understand everything as it's a bit of a psychological mindfuck, but I got the general idea. I enjoyed the beginning where he looked back at his career and enjoyed it the entire way through. I wouldn't say I was really grabbed most of the time but I was also never bored.

As a horror it mostly succeeds. There were actually a couple scenes that I really liked that scared me. When he goes on his computer and finally watches the video, that was the high point for me. It creeped me out. It's obvious Ellis is a talented writer because he pulls off psychological horror, satire and a memoir all in the same book. It's true that most of the book isn't really true, but it's still cool to think about what part is drawn (and clearly exaggerated) from his real life.

Lunar Park isn't a favourite of mine but it was a good read, and the mish-mash of genres especially appealed to me. Check it out, it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews here say. But keep in mind that I also liked Glamorama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunar Park.

05/03/2016 marked as: read