Mj's Reviews > Cross My Heart

Cross My Heart by Sasha Gould

Apr 24, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Very intriguing book! Set in sixteenth century Venice, politics and social class play a large role in this storyline. After spending years in a convent, 16-year-old Laura della Scala is ordered to return home. She can hardly wait to see her beloved older sister, Beatrice. Arriving home to a desolate house with a coffin sitting in the front hall, Laura finds that her life is about to be changed forever. Beatrice has mysteriously drowned and Laura is to step into her role as fiancé to Vincenzo, a wealthy, powerful man many years her senior.
Desperate to escape from this unwanted marriage, Laura makes a pact with the Segreta, a clandestine society of women who use secrets as a weapon. She quickly learns that exchanging secrets within the society has its own pitfalls.
Laura searches for evidence that Beatrice’s death was not accidental. In her search to find answers, Laura meets a young painter named Giacomo. Soon Laura is caught up in her search for clues and her attraction to Giacomo.
This book is a quick read that definitely draws the read in from the first page. The characters are interesting and multi-layered. Sorting the trustworthy from the villains leaves the reader guessing continually.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross My Heart.