Rich in Color's Reviews > Malice

Malice by Pintip Dunn

19813828

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, thriller, science-fiction

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher.)

If you’re in the mood for a thriller with a dash of science fiction and an entertaining romance, you should add MALICE to your to-read list. Author Pintip Dunn does a great job of keeping the tension high throughout this fast-paced novel where a teenager has to stop an apocalyptic future from happening.

One of the things that made Alice a refreshing protagonist for me is that she isn’t the obvious star for a thriller. Even after she finally comes to believe that the Voice is from the future, Alice isn’t the kind of person who can just go murder someone, even if she knows they’ll someday do terrible things and she may be the only one who can stop them. Her constant questioning of her own morals and her personal capacity for violence makes her dilemmas all the more intriguing. Is violence even a possible solution for her? let alone the best one to prevent catastrophe?

Whether or not MALICE works for you will largely hinge on how much you’re invested in Alice’s romance with Bandit, and I’m happy to say that I rather enjoyed the two of them together. After an extremely (and intentionally) rocky beginning, it was rewarding enough whenever they opened up to each other that I could ignore most of my quibbles. Bandit was a great supporting character and just as complicated and interesting as Alice. The rest of the cast were far less developed, which was a small disappointment, but Alice and Bandit were strong enough that the world didn’t feel empty.

I have a few nitpicks for the book—I wanted the science-fiction elements to pop up more frequently than they did, and I didn’t care for a character’s motivations as revealed in the climax—but overall MALICE was a gripping read. I plowed through it in just a couple days, and it kept my attention all the while.

Recommendation: Get it soon if you enjoy high-stakes conflict as the catalyst for your romances. There are a lot of interesting ideas lurking about in MALICE, and while not all of them went the way I’d hoped, you’ll likely have fun with this book if you are a fan of thrillers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

Finished Reading