Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

bookshelves: read2020, faulkner2020, location-usa-mississippi, southern

When it rains too much in the south, roads disappear and bridges are swept away. How funny to read this novel right after the most rain my county has ever had in one day, because that's the background of the story too - the wife/mother dies and her family struggles to take her body to her family's resting place, to honor her wishes. First they have to get the body down a mountain, over a swollen rushing river, and through the "town." Shenanigans ensue.

The story is told through multiple points of view, which I always like, and after I struggled through two earlier Faulkners I found this one easy if not pleasurable to read... I suppose this explains why this Faulkner is the one most people have read if they have read any at all. I'm not from the south so he was not included in my curriculum.

One character from Flags in the Dust shows up here - the doctor Peabody who has to use a rope to climb the mountain to make his visit to the dying woman. I feel refreshed and look forward to what comes next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Lay Dying.

February 6, 2020 – Started Reading
February 6, 2020 – Shelved
February 7, 2020 – Finished Reading
February 14, 2020 – Shelved as: read2020
February 14, 2020 – Shelved as: faulkner2020
February 14, 2020 – Shelved as: location-usa-mississippi
February 14, 2020 – Shelved as: southern

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Yanira You are tempting me to reread it. Would love to hear about this class. Feel free to email me any thoughts on it if you have time.

“Life wasn't made to be easy on folks: they wouldn't ever have any reason to be good and die.”

This line has stuck with me