Swankivy's Reviews > Siddhartha

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

liked it

Sorry to say but I don't have much to say about this. I didn't feel like I had much of a connection to the story even though I also wasn't bored by it at all, and since it's been read and enjoyed by so many people, I doubt someone like me would have anything particularly insightful to say about it. I was not assigned to read this and did not read it in the context of any teachings about Buddhism, so I don't have much of a perspective on it except as a self-contained book (which I know it is not). It got on my nerves a little that Siddhartha knew he wasn't ordinary throughout and had this weird superior attitude toward everyone--despite how it was described, I felt like if I met him I would find him obnoxious, even though usually others did not. I thought it was good that he plainly stated his realization--that you can't attain enlightenment by following a teacher, because part of enlightenment is finding the way there yourself. One other idea I appreciated was Siddhartha's realization that trying to destroy the Self through starving it, punishing it, denying it, did not actually work. Anyway, I found the book readable and its perspectives interesting, but didn't really walk away from it with any understanding I didn't have before, and I didn't find it all that entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siddhartha.

September 2, 2008 – Shelved