Sue's Reviews > Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

bookshelves: wwii

I bought this a few months ago because I'm always interested in a novel that tells a story of Japanese-American internment. I have several reasons I've always been interested in this topic. From the description on the back, I judged it to be a fairly straightforward story that would be an uncomplicated read sometime that I needed one. White girl marries a Nisei right before Pearl Harbor, sounds like she follows him to Manzanar, he joins probably the 442nd, there's strife, it all works out. I pulled it out because I needed a "red" book for a February challenge & was delightfully surprised to find that it's much more complex, with deeper characters than anticipated & many more twists & turns to the plot than I saw coming. Indeed, I stayed up late reading it & found that I wanted to get back to it & finish it up to find out what happened. Strong praise from me, & now I'm going to pay it forward by giving this to a friend who I know will like it. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves.

February 6, 2020 – Started Reading