C.G. Drews's Reviews > Spellhacker

Spellhacker by M.K. England

bookshelves: 4-star, young-adult, sci-fi, read-2020

Oh this was a fantastically fun mix of disaster friend-squads, sci-fi heists, magic, and sarcastic quips. Such a nice little checklist of all the good things books should have :') I liked reading the author's first book (The Disasters!) so I was ready for moooore. And this was really fun. It's action heavy and delightfully magical and very very techy.

[magic and scifi]
Honestly not a usual mix! It had a video game quality to it at times, so think Warcross x Illuminae. I did think the focus was going to be the heist, but it isn't so much. There's still a lot of Big Corporate Company Evils to uncover and save-the-world storylines. The magic system was super interesting, although I didn't quite visualise it because I suck at visualising. That's on me. 😌But I love how they wove spells with their fingers.

[the squad]
here for friend squads okay, the more dysfunctional THE BETTER. We have Diz, our protagonist, then Remi, Jaesin, and Ania. The entire book is delightfully queer. Its just like...queer people EVERYWHERE. Did u see a straight in the wild? What a rare thing. (It was really nice!! Diversity where it's not a big deal, it just IS.) Remi is also nonbinary and uses they/them and I freaking LOVED seeing that kind of rep in an action-adventure novel.

As much as I love dysfunctional squads, these guys did spend 90% of the novel arguing, and look. I get it. They all have a lot of ptsd to work through too. But I wish I'd seen them clicking more. (view spoiler)

Also the professors were lowkey my favourite part. (THE PASTA, JOHN!! YOU MENACE!!) 😂

[read it if you like...]
Clever plots with high stakes and a little bit of world-wide doom. Messy, angry and vulnerable characters who make mistakes...but have the biggest hearts of gold. Epic sci-fi adventures. Magic mixed with tech. Aaaaaand loving heartfelt diversity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellhacker.

May 27, 2019 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
May 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
February 6, 2020 – Started Reading