Pandora's Book's Reviews > The Amaranth Enchantment

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

Apr 23, 2012

Recommended for: Robin McKinley fans

** spoiler alert ** The Amaranth Enchantment, by Julie Berry, has this really charming quality to it, and while reading it I often thought, “You know, this could be made into a Miyazaki film.” It had that Studio Ghibli feeling.

Lucinda, the main character, is an orphan living with her kindly uncle, and her cruel and greedy aunt. And then she meets a witch, a prince, and a thief. And if that sounds like the start of a fairy tale to you, then you’re on the right track, and we haven’t even met the goat yet.

When a very important jewel belonging to Beryl (who may or may not be a witch) is stolen, Lucinda accepts the task of finding it once more, in exchange for her childhood home, and enough money to never have to depend on anyone else again.

But well, easier said than done, right?

I really liked The Amaranth Enchantment, and it’s an easy book to start reading and then get lost in. A lot of books I read chapter by chapter, but this one I read in chunks, wondering where the time went.

Still, there was a lot that frustrated me about it. Lucinda and Peter (the thief) had great chemistry together, whereas Lucinda and Gregor had about as much steam between them as two piles of moss. I just kept hoping, “Oh, maybe now she’ll finally shut up about Gregor and pay attention to PETER!” Alas, it was not to be.

Plus, the pacing of the story was…odd. I don’t know that I would call it bad, but it definitely threw me off a bit in places, especially toward the end. I think some of the scenes could have been rearranged and it would have helped.

And yet, I really liked this book. It’s clever, and the two characters we spend the most time with, Lucinda and Peter, are interesting and intelligent. And like I said, there’s a goat!

I really emotionally invested myself in the story. At one point I had to turn off my Kindle and go about the rest of my day, because I was so worried about what was going to happen to Lucinda that I couldn’t keep reading. And then I got over it because I was so worried about what would happen to Lucinda! I HAD to keep reading.

By time she reaches her happy ending, there’s no doubt that she deserves it, and I felt..satisfied. The fairy tale feeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amaranth Enchantment.