Arion Wind's Reviews > Here After

Here After by Aleph

U 50x66
Apr 23, 2012

Read from April 23 to May 11, 2012

Here After was and is, in a word, stunning.

Ben is the ideal character for a story like this. Experiencing events through his perspective not only makes it easy for the reader to feel swept along in the world of angels just like he is, but also, by remaining so very human and relatable throughout, gives proper scope and awe to the nature of the beings whose world he is now a part of. Despite their human bodies and lives, Ben makes them seem as big and otherworldly as an angel should.

The pacing, too, is well above average. There is enough levity and wit both inside Ben's head and with the supernatural people around him that it is easy, at times, to forget that the book is a horror novel. Then the terrors of a supernatural war descend again and that light feeling you had gives it that much more of an impact. Not only that, but the reader is never quite left with nothing buoying their spirits. The worst moments fall on the perfect point between not hitting home and making you want to just STOP. This continues all the way to the ending, which is, like all books that are in a series but not the end, the perfect mix of closure on this chapter with enough of a cliffhanger for the next to keep you wanting more.

It's a small thing to note, but the additions of differing fonts in the body of the work is just one of the little touches that give important characters and moments focus and make Here After a must read for anyone who doesn't have a weak stomach.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here After.

05/04/2012
50.0% "All comments coloured by exposure to the comic. Ben is even more tragic a figure than I remember him being, and Nathan is, if anything, more admirable and compelling in text. The way things are going, I may have to concede that this really is the treatment the story deserves (Though I have no doubt I will be rereading the comic once I finish)."
05/04/2012
52.0% ""More cracks in the sidewalk and more crack in the people". Now the entire office has a new way to refer to urban decay. Thank you, Aleph. XD"
05/04/2012
52.0% "And it has to be said. White's explanation of his faith in the park remains one of my absolute favourite depictions of Christianity or any other faith in any media. It hits me every time I read it and deserved its own comment."
05/09/2012
72.0% "Rahab! I've been waiting for this part since the first page. Actually, that could be said about most of the book, but Rahab! And the idea of him and "Reference Guy" as a gay couple? Definitely a horror story, there. Such a thing could only end in tears and nightmares for everyone. XD"
show 1 hidden update…