Al's Reviews > Being Light

Being Light by Helen  Smith

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, kindle

It is unlikely Being Light is anything like any book you’ve read before. There are multiple casts of characters, which in the beginning seem unrelated. Keeping track of them all is a challenge at first. One thing they all have in common is they’re … I want to say crazy. Maybe not in the sense that they’re certifiable, although we do have some belief in alien abduction, so I won’t rule it out. But each has plenty of quirks and eccentricities. Although not a sequel in the normal sense, Alison Wonderland (from the book of the same name) and her boss, Ella Fitzgerald (how did that name slip past me when I read Alison?), each reprise their roles.

I’ve read all of Smith’s books that are available for the Kindle. Each time the same things stand out for me. The plots are original, inventive, and (quick, find another word for quirky) idiosyncratic. But it is the characters and the humor that draw me in, not just in their situations, but also in how Smith describes them. For example, when I read, ‘We don’t have a leader, here,’ says the leader of the group…,” I did a double take and laughed. When Smith explains the reason for the conditions inside service station lady’s restrooms, I flashed on several stories from women complaining about the same, and couldn’t help but chuckle. I was amused by one character’s concept of heaven as being “exotic and unfamiliar, the sort of place that is unattainable for ordinary people, like Richard Branson’s island in the Caribbean.” These subtle humorous moments accumulate into a fun, enjoyable read.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Light.