Jonathan Pongratz's Reviews > Subject A36

Subject A36 by Teri Polen

bookshelves: ya, science-fiction, dystopian

Original review at Jaunts & Haunts

4/5

I gave this novel four rebellious stars!

I love my dystopian novels, and this one was a lot of great fun!

We join Asher and the rebellion he works with called the Insurgents. A community named The Colony has figured out a way to eradicate disease, but they have darker intentions. The residents of The Colony have found a way to strip desirable traits from others and apply it to themselves. Sounds pretty cool, huh? Well, it kills the person whose genes are stripped. Yeah, not so cool anymore.

Asher and his closest friends run one of the Insurgent locations, rescuing bands of kidnapped free people, risking their lives every mission. Can they thwart The Colony's evil plans, or do they have an even darker fate prepared for the Insurgents?

I'm a big fan of Teri Polen's work and have read every novel she's written to date. While I didn't give this five stars, I still had a ton of fun, and realistically, not every book can be a five-star.
So first things first, I really liked the characters. Asher, Oz, Brynn, Paige, etc. They were all great.

Each character has a troubled past, courtesy of the greedy Colony. Their awful pasts make their actions make a lot of sense. Heck, I'd be an Insurgent if my family was taken away from me and stripped of their genes just so some rich dude can have blue eyes or athletic ability.

That's the monsters these characters are battling day in and day out, so I found this aspect of the book particularly strong.

The plot was really interesting. At first we follow along several raids of Colony holding locations, and I really loved the action there. Teri Polen never bores me. As the novel progresses, things get more interesting and we learn there is a lot more to things than meets the eye (not spoiling it!).

Of course, the concept was truly there too. As I said before, I love dystopians. This wasn't your perfect future dystopian, well maybe for the Colony residents it is. But we spend most of our time on the other side, of the unfortunate victims and that was unique and entertaining.

As I mentioned before, this book wasn't perfect for me. If I had to pick at anything, I would say the main things that could've been just a tad better were the flashbacks and pacing.

There is a good amount of flashbacks in this novel, and sometimes, I feel like it could've been better placed at a time when the action isn't happening. It's just personal preference. I actually have no problem with flashbacks in books, and I felt that what we were given was crucial to understand the characters more. This tied into the pacing of things. Honestly that's really my only big irk.

By the end of the book, I couldn't wait to see what happens next. So excited for the next one!

Ultimately, Subject A36 was a fun, action-packed dystopian that explores what could happen when we covet other's naturally-given traits. Definitely worth a read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Subject A36.

February 5, 2020 – Shelved