A. Harrison's Reviews > Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey

Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey by Abigail Wilson

72092521

bookshelves: remo-2020

Is it truly over?
When reading a book like Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey you are so centralized that you barely notice as pages turn, chapters tick away, and an hour then two have gone. And with the last word read I am in shock, in Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey there is such intrigue that you can't help but devour each word with a baited breath, until the story is concluded with a neat, sweet ending.

The mystery is something like Doyle, the romance a dash of Austen, and the writing all Wilson. This being my first book from Abigail Wilson I wasn't sure quite what to expect, I had heard so many good things about her first books and when I saw the cover of this one I knew I needed to read it at the first chance I got -- and so I did.

Finding one of, what I expect to be, my top 5 favorite books of 2020 I am pleased that I read this book, the characters, especially Lord Torrington, were not the normal characters one finds in a historical romance. The care with which Lord Torrington takes of Isaac and others with similar stories shows just how much of a gentleman he is. I can't say as I didn't see some things coming because I did but I didn't guess everything within the first half of the book which was a wonderful surprise. I look forward to more from Wilson.

The mystery tied up with good pace, not too soon or too long winded, and was not too dark for my tastes.

I only have to add that there are mentions of mistresses, prostitutes, children born out of wedlock, sleeping with a man/woman were already married to another man/woman, and such things that were very common in the era of Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and am truly happy to provide it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey.

November 14, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
February 4, 2020 – Started Reading
February 4, 2020 – Shelved
February 4, 2020 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2020 – Shelved as: remo-2020

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Excellent review!

message 2: by A. (new) - added it

A. Harrison Hannah wrote: "Excellent review!"

Thanks, Hannah!