Wulfwyn 's Reviews > Sunsets, Sabbatical and Scandal

Sunsets, Sabbatical and Scandal by Tonya Kappes

bookshelves: arc, cozy-mystery, cozymystery-bookclub, favorites, series

Mae and the Laundry Club are here to welcome you back to Normal, Kentucky. In this book we learn more about Mae and what happened to put her into the foster care system. That was a real interesting storyline that I am hoping is continued as I felt like it left me hanging. It is a background storyline so I’m fine with it so long as it continues. For me it truly enhances this series.
Just how did we get to learn so much? Well, the mystery in this book involves a character I liked and the introduction of a some characters from Mae’s hometown. With the mystery involving a friend, you know Mae and the ladies are going to be on it. So Mae and Mary Elizabeth are off to visit the old hometown. I’m not going to lie. I loved seeing them go off together. It really encourages me to read a real feel relationship about the foster care system, (having worked in it, I’m well aware of what’s wrong with it. I’m also aware that there is a lot right, too. That part rarely gets the spotlight.). Hank is back, of course, and is along for the visit.
The first few chapters moved slow for me. I’ve read the series since the beginning so, while I understand the need for the catch up, it felt long. Once I was past that, it moved along at its usual fast pace. It is definitely another page turner! I felt a nice mix of humor with bit of poignancy. The mystery was nicely developed with a good mix of suspects. The descriptions of the Daniel Boone Forest always leave me with a yearning to return. I am already anticipating the next chapter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunsets, Sabbatical and Scandal.

February 4, 2020 – Shelved