Jeff Short's Reviews > The Power of His Reign: An Easy Introduction to Amillennialism

The Power of His Reign by Jonathan Ammon

did not like it
bookshelves: eschatology

I read this book and discussed it on the Just Jerry Live podcast. We went through the book chapter by chapter over 8 episodes. Here is a link to the first episode. You can listen to those episodes if you want a fuller discussion on this book.

Ammon is open from the start about his amill position and how he got there. The book seemed to follow a natural progression from premill to amill, that was probably not unlike what the author experienced. I appreciated that openness and I think he was genuinely wanting to write something helpful.

I wouldn't call this the best presentation of amill I have read. The book has some weaknesses that prevent it from being a serious or compelling presentation of amillennialism. For instance, he does not touch the Old Testament. If it hadn't been for a bare mention of the book of Daniel in a light appendix, there would have been zero Old Testament references in the book. Of the New Testament passages he deals with, he didn't really address other passages that bear on the same topic, and he didn't address other passages that would seem to counter his views. He did a little bit of namedropping, but he did not really deal with any differing views. He spent a good bit of time on the two-age schema of all time, but he didn't offer a scriptural definition of what an age is.

Ultimately, my differences with this book come down to the hermeneutical approach to Scripture. Amillennialism holds to a discontinuity view and a dispensational framework that defies any natural, consistent, grammatical-historical reading of all Scripture.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of His Reign.

February 3, 2020 – Shelved
February 3, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
February 26, 2020 – Shelved as: eschatology
February 26, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by J.R. (new) - added it

J.R. Coltaine Thanks for reading and reviewing! I'm surprised you spent the time on my brief introductory work, but appreciate your kindness here.