Elizabeth Sulzby's Reviews > Nightwoods

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

I only listed this as currently-reading because I need to write my reaction/review. Among other aspects, the character Lit, the father, addresses his memories of taking uppers and downers in Vietnam, made massively available by the military. I just read an article in NYT magazine on whether the military is "taking troops crazy," tying increase in PTSD incidence to drugs like Ritilan and Adderall which increase the memory for highly charged and, in war, highly negative physical and emotional events. This is probably a 4+ rather than just a 4.

This book's main character was a pretty, popular cheerleader until she was raped late at night at her job. The rest of the book tells of her need for solitude, living in an old abandoned hotel, and how two seemingly crazy children are "thrown at" her by the department of child and family services. The theme in the book is about how persons who have not been parented well muddle through and do begin to form some ties. This book will be informative for readers who have studied attachment theory and "attachment disorders."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightwoods.