BoekenTrol's Reviews > Foreign Correspondence: A Pen Pal's Journey from Down Under to All Over

Foreign Correspondence by Geraldine Brooks

Sep 01, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-own, biographies-memoirs, stories-of-life, english_language

The first part was nice, but rather hard to plunge into. I would want to compare it to a steam engine that needs time to gain speed. Geraldine describes her youth, the dull (in her eyes) world of Sydney, at the end of the world.
When Geraldine grew older, her world grows and her writing takes the reader along. Finding friends to write to, growing up, go to work and finally going to look for the pals she wrote to in her youth.
The more pages I truned, the more interesting, recognizable it became.
I felt connected to the story, although we are a world apart geographically speaking, and also a few years in time.
The further I read in the book, the more I liked it. And now I've finished, I'm almost sad to close it and stop reading.
I think I'll read it again. Too bad that I know now how it ends. But the joy of reading this again will make up for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreign Correspondence.

September 1, 2008 – Shelved
April 1, 2009 –
0.0% "I like it. Not very dificult, but interesting."
April 13, 2009 –
page 133
61.29% "Very recognizable book. Also interesting in descriptions. A good read."
Started Reading
April 16, 2009 –
page 240
100%
April 16, 2009 – Finished Reading

cessie Are you enjoying it so far?
I really loved it and not only because of the subject of penpalling ;-).
Happy reading!

BoekenTrol Yes I am. I'm not very far, haven't got to the part about penpalling yet. Just love the descriptions, the way of writing so far. Looking forward to the rest :)