Cyndi Becker's Reviews > Alexei

Alexei by Brenda Rothert

I always get that giddy feeling when I see start a new Chicago Blaze story and with Alexei, there was a frisson of excitement to see how this bad boy and self-imposed black sheep of the family would fall into the fold of the Blaze.

Alexei has hit the proverbial rock bottom, without even knowing he needed to. He's confronted with the fact that out of a job unless he gets clean. He certain he's not really an addict, he just likes to party. It's only in getting clean that he can look back and see how his actions indicate there was something driving him to drink. Therapy is the best thing that could have happened to him, and meeting Greyson, his in treatment therapist, allows him to see things much more clearly and provides the opportunity to fall in love.

I loved this story for both the honest portrait of addiction and recovery, and of two people so unaware they found their person in each other. Rothert handles the scenario by injecting the story with a "forbidden" aspect as Greyson is forced to deny her attraction to her patient. But Alexei will have none of that, he's feeling something he's never felt before and he's not convinced that his recovery is jeopardized by a relationship and their connection is beyond simple attraction. In fact, who could be better for him?

There's a bit of drama in the therapy group, but there's also incredible friendships formed as well. One thing I loved is that they were perfectly balanced to provide each other with clarity and what the other person needed. I just really liked both characters. I thought they were immensely likable and deserved happiness. Both characters experience personal growth and their togetherness made me happy.

It's a long circuitous path for Alexei, but the second line of the Chicago Blaze just got an injection of pure heart. He ends up right where he belonged, closer to his family and in love with life. And Greyson finds a man who provides her the much needed emotional support and protection, and membership in a family that deserves her loyalty and love. 5 Stars and recommendation!!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexei.

February 2, 2020 – Started Reading