Jennifer's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Book Two

liked it
bookshelves: genre-horror, 2012-reads, subject-zombies, genre-comics
Read from April 27 to 28, 2012

Originally posted: http://a-librarians-library.blogspot....

The collection of comics (graphic novel? I don't really know what to call it lol) continues with an interesting plot development. The group of survivors finds a prison facility and decide that it is fortified enough to settle in. When they get the yard cleared out of the zombies walking around, they begin to explore the inside of the jail. They open a locked door and discover...4 living inmates playing cards?! Yes sirree. The addition of 4 new men to the group (and criminals at that) creates a dynamic that is a little creepy and a lot darker.

And do not fear, folks, there are a lot more zombie attacks, which is great for a Zombie series. But this second collection also contains a sense of the decay of humanity. That seems to be the struggle in this part. Now that the group of survivors has found a place that--for once--feels safe to them, each and every individual in this group begins to feel the strain of being alive in a world like this. There is suicide, there is murder, there is adultery, there is giving up. Even though they all live in a group, there is still an "every man for himself" mentality, which is understandable but does lead to a lot of extra stress and trouble in this zombie apocalypse.

Not gonna lie, at the end of Season 2 of AMC's The Walking Dead, a new character Michonne was introduced that looked TOTALLY AWESOME! So I was most excited to be introduced to her character in this series because everyone was SO EXCITED for her to be entering the show, including the producers. What I found in this series is that she is kind of a jerk. I mean, I understand that wandering around the outside by yourself with two "trained" zombies in tow might make a girl a little crazy, but I don't know if I like her. She is a hot mess, but she also has no regard for anyone else. Maybe this will change in Book Three,especially after she stole someone's man?

I did love that, after the degrading of women in Book One, some of the women in Book Two stood out as strong and fierce. Obviously Michonne is one of them. She is depicted as a ripped, in shape woman who is a force to be reckoned with. None of the men even question her true strength. But Andrea also proves herself to be strong and useful in this zombie-filled world. After escaping from the crazed psycho-killer and drawing him out in the open, she gains the respect of most of the men in this group and is allowed to start going on hunts and making plans. You know, the men's jobs from the last book. I am glad that women are starting to find their place!

Overall, I really enjoyed how the story continued. I think that not having any expectations from the show (and knowing that the graphic novels and the show are SO DIFFERENT) really allowed me to enjoy this book for what it was. And the ending speech by Rick was so epic that I will be reading Book Three very soon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Book Two.

04/27/2012 page 130