Nicole's Reviews > Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 2: Learning Curve

Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 2 by Brian Michael Bendis

Apr 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels, superheroes

The story's good in terms of (as the title indicates) Peter learning, making mistakes, juggling various aspects of his life. It's hard to balance life as a high school student by day with the activities of a vigilante superhero by night. Especially when his ego starts writing some checks his body almost can't cash. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.) In this installment, Peter also gets a job at the Daily Bugle, working on its website in this updated version (and also a cute pun). I liked the way his budding relationship with Mary* is portrayed, how he decides to tell her the truth about his alter-ego...and how Aunt May deals, embarrassingly PSA-style, with potential teenage romance under her roof.
I thought the plotline dealing with the Kingpin and his under-thugs was less interesting than the Norman and Harry Osborn stuff in the previous book, even though it's part of Peter's quest to root out everyone with a connection to his Uncle Ben's death.
The art, as before, is quite good. Peter looks sort of like a teenage Michael Weatherly (a good thing) with a bad haircut. I'm not quite sure how I feel about so many small panels that are varying degrees of extreme close-ups. It definitely gives a lot of 'reaction shots', but at times the pages felt a little crowded.
Overall enjoyable, though; and I'm continuing on to volume 3 soon.
*(I am a little curious why she's just "Mary" now. They've called her "M.J." in the past. Is the writer just avoiding "Mary Jane" because it's also drug slang?)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 2.

April 22, 2012 – Shelved