Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > The Return

The Return by Rachel   Harrison

liked it
bookshelves: ladies-of-horror, horror

Though from appearance and the description, this book seems like a straightforward thriller, it is really a horror novel with some monstrous consequences.

The story is about a group of four girlfriends who get together at a chic hotel in the woods. The problem is, one of them has been missing for two years and though she’s back, she’s come back . . . different. Things at the hotel go from strange to worse.

I loved the setting for this novel. The hotel seems so cool, with all these colorful and crazily designed rooms, like the Jane, which looks like a jungle, to the Lenore, a gothic-inspired and bookish room. (Sign me up, I want to stay in that one!)

There are some really excellent scenes of horror too—gross and disturbing scenes that felt eerily removed from reality and I couldn’t be sure they were actually happening. Some really great writing!

I raced through to see what the twist would be, and it isn’t at all what I expected! Though the exposition at the end where the whole mystery is revealed felt clunky and I wish it could have been more actionable instead of just dialogue, the book kept me reading, so I can’t complain.

This is much more than a thriller—it’s a horror debut worth reading.

My thanks to Berkley for my advance copy of this one to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return.

Started Reading