Julie's Reviews > Tris's Book

Tris's Book by Tamora Pierce

bookshelves: 2012, borrowed, fantasy, young-adult

I'm getting fonder of this series as it goes on. I like the characters - I usually do when it comes to Tamora Pierce books. Not only that, but the writing is so smooth that it fades into the background. So many YA books these days have such awkward writing, with awkward sentence structure or poor word choices and it's downright distracting. I never have that problem with this author.

Here's my favorite part of these books, though. Tamora Pierce can create a world where gender equality and racial diversity are THE NORM, and she can do it without drawing any attention to it - without going "ooooh, look what I did there." I am ashamed to say that I caught myself incorrectly assuming that background soldiers, etc., were male until a pronoun was used. I assumed for a little while that Frostpine was white and sort of Scandinavian-looking, mostly because that's what the name conjured up for me. I also caught myself imagining Gorse as a tall, ruddy-faced doughy man. And each time, I was wrong, and all because of my own assumptions and incorrect perceptions. I love you for this, Tamora Pierce. I hope that someday I will reach the point where I stop making these assumptions and assume racial diversity and gender equality instead.

(I read Fire by Kristin Cashore right after this and could feel the contrast. Cashore also creates a world where there is greater gender equality in jobs like soldier or healer, etc., but it kind of seemed like there was more attention called to the fact. Admittedly that was partly because it was a surprise to the main character, from whose perspective the book is written.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tris's Book.

April 13, 2012 – Started Reading
April 16, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 22, 2012 – Shelved
April 22, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
April 22, 2012 – Shelved as: borrowed
April 22, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 22, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jannah (Cloud Child) lovely review and I agree! i live how she incorporates a world where this is a norm it really does make us rethink our world view in terms of society's conditioning