Jon's Reviews > Old Man's War

Sep 01, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, read-in-my-40s, hugo-nominee, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Kristin
Read from December 28 to 30, 2008 , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Man's War.

12/28/2008 page 21
5.98% "Starting Chapter Two - Scalzi's sense of humor reminds me of someone else's sense of humor"
12/28/2008 page 36
10.26% "Starting Chapter Three - John and the Beanstalk, Arcurian cows and CU giants."
12/29/2008 page 102
29.06% "First Order - "Have Fun!""
12/29/2008 page 114
32.48% "Starting Part II - training and master sergeants"
12/29/2008 page 149
42.45% "Starting Chapter 9 - no longer recruits"
12/29/2008 page 162
46.15% "Starting chapter 10 - first battle a cake walk or so Perry is told"
12/30/2008 page 202
57.55% "Middle of Chapter Twelve - retaliation for Coral Massacre"
12/30/2008 page 262
74.64% "Starting Chapter Fifteen - Corporal Perry is now a liason to the Ghost Brigades and returning to Coral"
12/30/2008 page 276
78.63% "Perry asking four questions of the Consu"
12/30/2008 page 320
91.17% "Finished"
03/31/2016 marked as: read

Nancy I enjoyed this very humane story.

Sandi Great review, Jon! I really enjoyed this book. Even better, my husband loved it. He only reads Clive Cussler, but he really liked this one. I guess it wasn't too science-fictioney for him.

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I almost bought this in the bookstore yesterday - I was curious because of your updates! I decided to wait due to the huge number of books I already have waiting to be read.

message 4: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Well, I couldn't resist, even though I have probably fifty books waiting on my shelf to be read. I went to Waldenbooks today (after stopping at the used book store first of course) and bought The Ghost Brigades. Reading it will have to wait a couple of days as I have a library book due on Monday that I need to slog through.

Sandi Ghost Brigades is a lot tougher to get into. It's good, but it's a slow start. "The Last Colony" was almost as good as the first book though.

Nancy It's been a while since I read Old Man's War. Should I reread the first book before starting the second?

Sandi You don't need to read any of the previous books to read the latter ones.

message 8: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Jul 19, 2012 01:08PM) (new) - added it

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Whatever anyone thinks about the book, I hope you agree that Scalzi is completely awesome (and hilarious):

Bad Reviews: I Can Handle Them And So Should You

message 9: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Hi Jon, Interesting that you won't share your review in full with GR members since the Amazon purchase. It was obviously a good review given you have 19 likes, but if you hate Amazon that much, why not just close down your GR membership altogether? Interesting personal choice. I love GR, but perhaps I'm missing something...

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I think she's keeping us in the loop so we don't wonder what happened or where she went off to.

GR is wonderful the way it is, but Amazon has a habit of taking companies and twisting the life out of them to fit its own business model. It's a business, GR is a community. There's a huge difference.

I hate Amazon but sometimes there isn't another choice. I do use them but I'm upset that GR has been co-opted by them.

message 11: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I despise Amazon. I'm hanging around GR because I love my reading friends and the groups I'm involved in.

Amazon also has a bad habit of censoring reviews (on their own site). So to protect my reviews, I'm moving them to my blog and leaving a link behind.

I'm also choosing to unrate my books (removing the star ratings) when I relocate the reviews. This should throw a wrench in Amazon's data mining. Keep them from making recommendations to me or forcing unwanted advertisements upon me. It's a two edged sword though, because it makes it more difficult for potential GR friends to compare books with me.

I have been boycotting Amazon for years. There is always an alternative to Amazon. It just might not be as convenient or as inexpensive.

message 12: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Hi Jon, I love looking at the recommendations generated by GoodReads, but it doesn't mean I'm going to go and buy them from Amazon. Most likely I'll borrow them from my local library in Australia, so Amazon won't see a cent. I also love my star ratings and they help me to find my favourite and least favourite books at the click of a mouse.
As for unwanted advertisements, they're everywhere. As I type this to you, there's a Virgin Mobile ad in the top right of the screen. I never look at any of the advertising and Amazon's ads will not make any difference to me.
I do hope your hatred of Amazon doesn't impact your own enjoyment of the GoodReads features and your interactions with bookish friends. I think it's such a shame. If more members feel like you and start closing their accounts then all GR members will eventually lose out.
Just don't buy/pay for anything when using GR and you won't be actively supporting them.