Karen's Reviews > Home Making: A Novel

Home Making by Lee Matalone

190448

"You don’t just get pregnant, suffer the nine months, give birth, and become Mother. You choose this title."

I was surprised by the mixed reviews on this novel. The writing is unusual and a bit of a stream of consciousness-like, but in my opinion that didn't get in the way of this beautiful story. I loved this story because it's the kind of novel I enjoy the most: quiet with characters that are interesting and writing that's thoughtful.

"Some women do this all their lives. Iron, rear, sweep, wash, fold, brush, wipe. For the entirety of their adult lives, they make homes. They make other people. They make families. This is just to say that what I’m doing is not so unusual. It’s the opposite. This act is completely mundane. But no one talks about how difficult it is. I don’t think it’s any easier for a woman with a pretty husband and a pretty six-year-old daughter. Beneath the prettiness, we are all a mess. We are all struggling."

I loved the quiet nature of this novel. The characters grew on me as I read, I loved the quiet atmosphere of home making, the juxtaposition of illness, motherhood, friendship and people quietly taking care of each other, needing each other, building lives together.

"In this moment you know that for all the trauma you have suffered, for all the suffering you have witnessed, you know there is no love greater than this and you believe in God."

I loved the writing. I loved the mother-daughter relationship. I loved the way the whole book grew on me as I read it. I found myself rooting for the characters, rooting for everyone to make the homes they wish to have, to fell full. The find their own homes.

If quiet novels are your thing, too, you will like this one.

with gratitude to edelweiss and Harper Perennial for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Making.

February 1, 2020 – Started Reading