Celeste's Reviews > Alias Grace

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

bookshelves: historical, mystery

Alias Grace isn’t what I expected. I suppose I thought this would be similar to Atwood’s most famous novel, The Handmaid’s Tale. And it was in some ways, especially in the tone of the main character. Though I can’t quite call Grace a protagonist, as Offred is in the aforementioned classic of dystopian literature. What I wasn’t expecting was very well researched historical fiction.
“Murderess is a strong word to have attached to you. It has a smell to it, that word - musky and oppressive, like dead flowers in a vase. Sometimes at night I whisper it over to myself: Murderess, Murderess. It rustles, like a taffeta skirt across the floor.”

I’m not sure how this happened, but I somehow managed to completely miss the fact that this novel was based on a true story until I reached the afterword. Grace’s story is fascinating, and is made even more so by the fact that she was a real woman and the crime she was accused of really happened. Because no one quite knew what was truth in regards to Grace’s life and possible guilt, Atwood took it upon herself to give Grace a fictional voice and allow her to tell her side of events. Atwood did this brilliantly, giving Grace a voice that rang true.
“If we were all on trial for our thoughts, we would all be hanged.”

This book could skew much too descriptive for many readers. However, I wallowed in the descriptions found in Grace’s tale, as they did much to aid the setting in time and place, and brilliantly illuminated Grace’s character and what made her tick. Grace is obsessed with the physical, and she laces her story as she tells it to Dr. Jordan with a minutely detailed account of her wardrobe and the wardrobes and belongings of others present in her tale. As she is a talented seamstress, this would appear fairly natural. But on further consideration, it shows how much material goods matter to Grace, and seems to convey a lack of caring and compassion about her fellow human beings. She carefully studies every situation and assumes the role she determines is expected of her without showing much real emotion. I found her wily and cunning, and by the end of the book I was still just as unsure of her guilt or innocence as I was of her character.
“A prison does not only lock its inmates inside, it keeps all others out. Her strongest prison is of her own construction.”

Atwood really knows how to write. The craftsmanship of this book is impeccable, and the prose definitely helped draw me deeper into the story. Atwood deserves the accolades she has received over the course of her career. She is truly on of the masters of the craft for our time.

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alias Grace.

February 1, 2020 – Started Reading
February 1, 2020 – Shelved
February 8, 2020 – Shelved as: historical
February 8, 2020 – Shelved as: mystery
February 8, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Gene (new)

Gene Brode, Jr. Great review Celeste! I’m in the beginning chapters of The Handmaid’s Tale and I’m loving it. I started The Blind Assassin but it didn’t keep my attention a few years ago. That’s all I’ve ever read of her, but she is certainly a great writer. Alias Grace sounds intriguing, I might have to put that on my TBR list.

message 2: by TS (new) - added it

TS Chan Oh no!! You made me want to add more books to my TBR again! Great review, love!

Celeste Thank you, Gene! I hope you continue to enjoy The Handmaid’s Tale. The Blind Assassin is on my list, as is her Oryx and Crake series.

Celeste Haha, thank you TS my darling! 😘