Rossdavidh's Reviews > Gardening in the South: Vegetables & Fruits

Gardening in the South by Donald M. Hastings Jr.

bookshelves: green

Not a book you will be likely to read cover-to-cover, but rather a combination of a few introductory chapters that you might read that way, and then the bulk of it a species-by-species look at how to grow that particular plant. The fact that it is focused on how to grow it in the southern United States means that it is often much more relevant and useful to you than most books on gardening, which are focused on a more European-like climate such as the American Northeast or Midwest.

Also less interested in doing a bunch of mental programming of you to love compost and cooh about how different species grow better next to one another, some of which I even believe is true but I already have a compost pile and I mostly need to know practical things like how do I deal with the fact that Mother Nature sends squash vine borers in quantity to kill my squash plants. I read gardening books for practical info, not to refresh my mental programming or celebrate my ecological enlightenment.

Definitely written pre-organic farming, and it often recommends pesticide. I'm not into that, but in my experience if he finds that pesticide is necessary, you are better off just not trying to grow that plant because otherwise it will require daily monitoring to keep the critters away with any other method. There are a lot of choices in what to grow, and if you just want to grow something you can eat without having to invest hundreds of hours in it, this will help guide you to the ones more likely to work out, and tell you the hard truth about the plants you thought you were going to be able to grow by just plopping a seed in the ground and hooking up a sprinkler with a timer.

All in all a good no-nonsense guide to gardening in the sunny part of the U.S.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardening in the South.

Finished Reading