Colleen's Reviews > Sphinx's Princess

Sphinx's Princess by Esther M. Friesner

F 50x66
Apr 22, 2012

Read in March, 2012

gave this book to my niece on the strength of Friesner's short stories and the knowledge that ancient Egypt would be at least a fun change from the usual Euro-centric and fairie fantasies that are the norm. My niece just devoured it, and the sequel, and was kind enough to loan them back to me.

The strengths of this book are pure Friesner - the main character is pretty and graceful, but would much rather just be smart. She relies on knowledge and friendship when everything around her is falling prey to paranoia and hatred. The weaknesses of the book lie in part with the reliance on religion for both motive and plot energy, and in part with the overly dramatic emotional states of almost all of the main characters. There is nearly nothing ordinary in this book. Everything is dark, bright, cloying, shifty... In short, this is a Disney movie waiting to happen.

I bought it for my niece, but I have no clue how I got to putting it on my "to buy" list for her.
I recommend it to anyone who enjoys younger writing and likes to see the princess rescue her own darn self... With the help of real friends.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sphinx's Princess.

07/08/2016 marked as: read