Brad's Reviews > The Human Division

The Human Division by John Scalzi

419333

bookshelves: sci-fi

There are two major changes in John Scalzi's book The Human Division. First, the series moves away from the Perry family's point-of-view in this story and replaces them with Harry Wilson, a wise-cracking Colonial Defense Force soldier. Second, this is a serial, which means the stories–while connected the universe—aren't necessarily narratively related to each other. Instead, we're treated to a series of episodes with Harry and the misfit B-team.

As with Zoe's Tale, I had to ease into this new storytelling mechanism. Once I got passed the jolt, I enjoyed the short stories (which is really how I experienced them) and I appreciated that Scalzi didn't just continue retreading the Old Man's War series framework. I usually ditch other series around book four or five for just that reason.

The other part I enjoyed was the focus on the Earth-Colonial Union galaxy-politics instead of expanding to the Conclave or other species. The move made the story feel smaller and more intimate, as much as one can do that in a galactic space opera.

Since this was serialized, there are moments when—reading it as a collective novel—I could feel the different tones happening in the stories. But, that's a minor writer-nerd quibble and not something that got in the way of my enjoyment.

All told, this was a fine addition to the series, and I'm looking forward to Harry Wilson's next adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Human Division.

January 31, 2020 – Started Reading