megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Wife Who Knew Too Much

The Wife Who Knew Too Much by Michele Campbell

liked it
bookshelves: 2020-releases, thriller-mystery-to-read, arcs-to-read

The Wife Who Knew Too Much was one of my most highly anticipated Mystery/Thrillers of the year.

I have really enjoyed previous works from Michele Campbell and was definitely hoping this would offer up the same high-intensity drama.

Unfortunately for me, I was let down by this one. It hurts me to write that, but it's true.

Please don't take my disappointment as meaning this isn't a good story, however.

It is a good book, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

That tense drama I usually enjoy was definitely, in my opinion, toeing the line of eye-roll territory.

We mainly follow protagonist, Tabitha Girard, a recent divorcee, who works as a waitress at a seen-better-days restaurant in rural New Hampshire.

She can't believe her eyes when, one night, a blast from her past gets seated in her section. A very rich, very handsome guy who had broke her teenage heart at the end of a summer fling. She has never forgotten him.

Connor Ford's life has changed a lot since the last time he saw Tabby. For example, he's now married to an uber-wealthy older woman, Nina Leavitt.

He's a trophy husband, imagine that?! Or is he?

Once they circle back into each other's orbit, Connor and Tabby cannot get enough of one another.

Cue the sappy music. Right around here was where it started to lose me.

Not long after their rekindled relationship, Nina Leavitt ends up face-down in her swimming pool after a lavish party. The incident is tentatively determined to be a suicide.

Soon after that, Connor and Tabby are married.

The icing on the cake, Tabby is pregnant with Connor's baby, the timeline of which makes it clear the two of them were together prior to Nina's untimely death.

As you can imagine, he is desperate to keep that fact hidden. He stands to lose the entire fortune if suspicions of infidelity, and possibly even murder, fall upon him.

I won't belabor the point, this just wasn't the book for me. It's fun for what it is.

Campbell's writing style is fast and smooth, making this a good, light weekend read. It's not offending in any way, the content just wasn't to my tastes.

My main complaint was the relationship. I just wasn't buying it. For one thing, cheating tropes, like the one here, really get under my skin.

I also found Tabby to be lame and annoying, while Connor was just a jerk. I didn't even understand why they would want to be together, besides the fact that they were purportedly both ridiculously good looking.

With all this being said, I'm not mad I read this book. I will continue to pick up anything Michele Campbell writes.

She has an addicting style and I'm here for it.

Thank you so much to the publisher, St. Martin's Press, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity.

As always, just because this book didn't necessarily work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you. There's a Reader for every book!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife Who Knew Too Much.

January 31, 2020 – Shelved
September 29, 2020 – Started Reading
September 30, 2020 –
October 3, 2020 –
15.0% "

Is this going to get thrilling or mysterious in any way?"
October 4, 2020 –
24.0% "Cheating tropes = not for me."
October 6, 2020 –
74.0% "mmmmm, this might not work for me..."
October 6, 2020 –
92.0% "Okay, this came around. I'm having fun now!

"
October 7, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Congrats hun! Enjoy! :)

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Congrats hun! Enjoy! :)" Thank you, sweetheart. I really need to start this soon! xx

message 3: by Simone (new) - added it

Simone It's on my TBR for this month as well. I'm finally making a dent in my ARC TBR lol.

megs_bookrack Simone wrote: "It's on my TBR for this month as well. I'm finally making a dent in my ARC TBR lol." Same as far as the ARC pile. There were WAYYYY too many great books released yesterday, the 6th. It's a never ending game of catch-up! Good luck! xx

message 5: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle This has been sitting on my TBR list for a while now. I think it will continue to sit there for a bit. Great review!

megs_bookrack Danielle wrote: "This has been sitting on my TBR list for a while now. I think it will continue to sit there for a bit. Great review!"
Thank you, Danielle. You might love it. The more reviews I am reading, I'm starting to second guess myself. Like, was I in a mood? hahahaha -- whenever you get to it, I hope you have fun with it! xx

Brandice Your GIFs are perfect, great review! This one was eye-rolling territory for me, Tabitha was way too naive for me — An entertaining story but def not a fave. Hope you love your next read, Meg! :)

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "Your GIFs are perfect, great review! This one was eye-rolling territory for me, Tabitha was way too naive for me — An entertaining story but def not a fave. Hope you love your next read, Meg! :)"Thank you so much, Brandice! xx
Yessss, naive, that's the perfect word to describe her. It was too much, but entertaining. I never even questioned whether or not I would finish it.