Annalisa's Reviews > The Return of the King

542037
Aug 31, 2008

bookshelves: classics, fantasy, movies
Recommended to Annalisa by: Traci

My husband asked me the other day who was my favorite LOTRs character. My response: "Oh I don't know. I love how Gandalf always knows what's going on and comes in the nick of time to save people but never sticks around for praise. I love Aragorn's constant, humble strength and that he cares deeply for those in his care. If ever I were in trouble I'd want him around. I love the competition and respect between Legolas and Gimli. I don't always agree with Sam, but he is dependable. I do love Frodo's quiet wisdom and inner strength. I love Faramir's goodness. Merry and Pippin lovable, adventurous optimism make everything a good time. Merry just may be my favorite." Wait someone who has to qualify their answer by saying what they like about all in the fellowship of nine (I had to throw Faramir in to replace his brother) likes these books.

And that's when I realized that I do like this series. Maybe not so much when my wanders during lengthy descriptive scenes or when the climax ends and I still have a third of the book to read, but when I closed the last book I felt a little sad to be departing from the characters. Some of my favorite moments include Merry & Pippin's bravery, the final struggle for the ring, Faramir finding love (I really did like him), and the Hobbits disregard for authority back at the Shire. The story did drag in a few spots, particularly when the fellowship is reunited briefly before going their own separate ways, and I think Two Towers was more exciting, but I did very much like the conclusion to LOTRs.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.

Quotes Annalisa Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King