Mel's Reviews > A Most Magical Girl

A Most Magical Girl by Karen Foxlee

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-book, fairytale, fiction, juvenile-fiction, libby, library-book

A magical girl, with the help from a friend and a troll, must save London from dark magic.

This was a prime example of a narrator that you adore not being able to salvage a mediocre story. It was just a mess.

I loved the author's magical novel, Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy, as well as the amazing narrator, Jayne Entwistle. Read/listen to Ophelia, skip this.

Seriously though, if it hadn't been for Jayne Entwistle, I would have give up on this book WAY SOONER. I could listen to her read the dictionary and be entranced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Most Magical Girl.

January 30, 2020 – Shelved
February 2, 2020 – Shelved as: fiction
February 2, 2020 – Shelved as: juvenile-fiction
February 2, 2020 – Shelved as: fairytale
February 2, 2020 –
16.0% "I’ve become obsessed with Karen Oxlee’s storytelling and Jayne Entwistle’s narration. Simply enchanting."
February 5, 2020 –
20.0% "Not nearly as good as Ophelia and the Marvelous boy -- this is like, "Harry Potter-lite." Girl fighting evil with a wand. Meh.
Still like the narrator. A lot."
February 6, 2020 –
27.0% "Way too similar to HP."
February 12, 2020 –
45.0% "Im not sure I can finish this...great narrator...terrible story."
February 18, 2020 –
February 24, 2020 –
75.0% "This book is proof that even though you LOVE the narrator, a good narrator does not salvage a bad book. This juvenile fantasy book is just not very good. I really want to quit -- but I'm almost done. Maybe I put it on 2.0 speed so it will just be over.
However, I would listen to Jayne Entwistle read the dictionary.
I LOVED this author's Ophelia and the Magical Boy and Jayne's narration. This not so much."
February 25, 2020 –