Mendhak's Reviews > The Names of the Dead

The Names of the Dead by Kevin Wignall

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

An 'OK' book in every aspect; the characters are OK, the plot devices are OK, the story is OK, but I wouldn't call it good. There are just far too many fortunate events and coincidences that push the story along.

The tone is set with the initial encounter with Mia, where for reasons still unexplained at the end of the story, she conveniently decides to accompany him as they pootle about various European tourist destinations seeking one loose thread or the other. It appears her purpose is to serve as nothing but a convenience function, who also happens to be, and I quote "I'm rich" - yeah, nobody says that unless they've just won a lottery.

The story, well, is just too convenient. Absolutely every hotel they visit on their hunt for information has the right people giving the right information at the right time remembering the right things or saying the right things. So that actually is a comment on the pacing; the pacing appears as though it's asking to be made into a TV series or movie, which takes away some of the enjoyment for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Names of the Dead.

January 30, 2020 – Started Reading