Rob Lund's Reviews > Pure: Inside the Evangelical Movement that Shamed a Generation of Young Women and How I Broke Free

Pure by Linda Kay Klein

bookshelves: library

This book was a revelation for me! I thought I knew most of what there was to know about the purity movement in the Evangelical world, having grown up in that culture right before it took off. But no, there was so much in that world that affected me and I didn't even realize it.

Particularly, so much of that trauma resides in the body, without you realizing it. The book's subtitle is "Inside the Evangelical Movement that Shamed a Generation of Young Women and How I Broke Free." But as a man, the book was extremely relevant to me still. For instance, the portions delving into shame about one's body and thoughts, and the false ideals of Christian relationships.

I appreciated that the book was filled with real world accounts from people who survived purity culture. They made the topic more relevant and personal.

I also was very pleased to hear the author talk about Our Whole Lives, the curriculum from UU and UCC.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

January 30, 2020 – Shelved