Larraine's Reviews > Every Secret Thing

Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman

Apr 22, 2012

Read from April 20 to 22, 2012

wo little girls are banished from a birthday party after one of them uses the "n" word. As they wander home, they come across a baby in a coach seemingly abandoned on a city street. They take the baby back to their own "secret place" and one of them kills the baby. Seven years later they are both 18 and released from juvenile detention. Not long after baby girls disappear and reappear all over the area - until one disappears and is not returned. This was probably the most chilling book by Lippman, I've read. I've always been a fan of Lippman's books. She started with her "Tess" series, but quickly branched out to a stand alone every other year. This book explores childhood - how children think, how elemental their thoughts and ideas are. We meet Alice - sweet, compliant, always wanting to be part of the gang - and Ronnie, difficult, a slower learner, wanting desperately to be loved. The adults in their lives don't seem to want to be adults at all and the results, in this case, are horrendous. "Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies....." That's what this book explores - the secrets, the lies and their consequences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Secret Thing.