Jen 's Reviews > Solo

Solo by Sarah Schofield

Apr 21, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 21 to 27, 2012

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON THE DANCING READER, a YA book blog.

Title: Solo
Author: Sarah Schofield
Release Date: December 17, 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace
Pages: 272, Paperback (Read: Kindle eBook, thanks Sarah!)

I was beyond excited when Sarah sent this copy for me to review/read for pleasure. I had talked to Sarah a lot on Twitter. She's the one of the kindest authors I know, so receiving a copy of her debut novel was extremely fabulous. Not only was it a contemporary, but it's also about a girl who has a strong passion for dance. Sounded like my kind of read! I'm glad to say that not only did it not disappoint, but it is now one of my favorites of the year!

Solo starts off with a sophomore girl named Eliana Davis who is from California, but receives some not-so-happy news about her father, leading them to their move to Myrtle Creek, Oregon. Because she is only staying there for a year, she must decide if she's going to make close friends, or just stay distant from everyone, in order to keep her heart intact by the end of it all. Along the way, however, she makes new friends, enemies, and even a boyfriend.

Let me start off with my thoughts on the whole story in general. It was so, so sweet, like Sarah herself. Everything was so perfect and oh golly I just loved it. It gave me such a happy sensation. I couldn't help but feel all of the delighted emotions well up inside of me. This will leave you in a bright, cheerful mood. Best feeling ever.

The characters were certainly enjoyable. Eliana was so great. I definitely felt each and every emotion she felt--the worry, doubt, happiness, and wild side of her. Everything. I could connect with her so easily. And Lucas Andrews, I love you. Why can't there be more Lucas Andrews out there? Just all of the characters in general were perfectly molded. Eliana's mom, Casey (so sweet!), even Eliana's enemies, Sasha & Evan. And the romance between Eliana and Lucas? So precious.

Now, you'd think such a simple plot line would bore me, but for this story, it worked. I missed those days where I read stories about girls and their high school problems. This story took me back to those days, and the simplicity was just so pure and fantastic. It kept me reading and interested the entire time. Events like prom night, school talent show, you name it. I was intrigued.

All in all, if you are looking for a very light, fun, heartwarming read, Solo is perfect. It made my day from mediocre to merry & lighthearted. You won't be able to help but grin from ear to ear once you finish. I absolutely cannot wait for book two, Duo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solo.

04/21/2012
04/23/2012
18.0% "Loving this book! =D"
04/27/2012
55.0% "SOO INCREDIBLY IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. It's made my day from okay to SO HAPPY."
show 4 hidden updates…