Susan's Reviews > Dan Unmasked

Dan Unmasked by Chris Negron

bookshelves: to-read

4 1/2 stars. Thank you to the publisher and blue_slip_media for the free review copy of this book to share with Kid Lit Exchange. All opinions are my own.

This is a story about comic books, superheroes, baseball, grief and most of all the power of friendship. Dan, his best friend, Nate and their baseball team are on their way to winning the championship. There are several games yet to go in the tournament, but with the team’s great playing, Nate’s amazing pitching and Nate and Dan’s uncanny ability to always know what each other is thinking (they know they’re on the same page when each lays a finger next to his nose) it seems they can’t miss.

Not only does the team share the love of baseball, but they also share the love of comics, especially the Captain Nexus series. In fact when a new issue comes out, they all gather in Nate’s basement, along with his brother Ollie to read it together. Each issue ends with a cliffhanger, which gives everyone lots to theorize about what will happen next.

The next day at practice that’s exactly what Dan and Nate are doing; brainstorming about the next issue when they should really be watching the ball; the ball that changes everyone’s lives.
Nate is suddenly in a coma and Dan is certain it’s all his fault. Dan is convinced the only way Nate will wake up, is if he, Ollie and Ollie’s friend, Courtney, write a comic starring Nate.

This story had me on the edge of my seat, as it also brought tears to my eyes. Dan’s determination to find a way to save his friend was inspiring, but the fear and loneliness he felt as he faced the real possibility of losing Nate, broke my heart. At the same time, the supportive friendships and the kindness which surrounded Dan and his friends filled me with warmth as I read.

DAN UNMASKED needs to be on every library shelf! It’s for the baseball lover, the comic book geek and especially for anyone who wants to read a story which fills them with hope. Grades 4+. You need to order it now! It’s out July 20.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dan Unmasked.

January 29, 2020 – Shelved