Trevor's Reviews > Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty

Yummy by G. Neri

bookshelves: to-read, etec545onlineb

Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shory, written by G. Neri; artwork by Randy DuBurke came recommended to me by my AP English Language colleague, for which I am grateful to add this book to my books read and to donate it to my school library. The novel tells the real-life story of eleven year old Robert “Yummy” Sandifer, convicted already of multiple felonies, who goes on the run after committing the murder of 14-year-old Shavon Dean due to a stray bullet. The novel is told from the perspective of a fictitious narrator who speaks to Yummy’s upbringing, including a dad in prison and a mom frequently arrested for prostitution and drug charges. DCFS would remove him and siblings from the home to live with a grandmother who was in charge of almost 20 kids. Because of the many kids, Yummy was not looked after, quitting school, stealing cars, and robbing stores. Due to the life of crime and a lack of support from the lack of stable home life, Yummy wanted to become a part of the Black Disciples Street Gang. His life of crime was due to errands forced upon him for the Disciples; including the murder of Ms. Dean. Following a few days on the run and with the murder becoming national news, Yummy was met by Cragg and Derrick Hardaway, members of the Black Disciples, who lured him to a meeting, but instead murdered him to get rid of a problem.

I was in awe in both the reading of this novel as well as viewing the artwork. This novel is in a graphic novel format in black and white. Mr. DuBurke beautifully captured the sentiment and action relating to Yummy’s life and the murder through the use of different sized cells to either speed up or slow action as a way to force the pace of the story. One page, in particular, used full-page triple vertical columns to show people’s opinions about the case and Yummy almost like watching a storyboard of a television news story that interviews multiple people for a story.

This book won the Coretta Scott King Author Honor Award, recognized as an ALA Notable Book and Great Graphic Novel for Teens, and was one of the Best Comics for 2010 by the School Library Journal. Due to mature themes with mentions of drugs, robbery, prostitution, and murder, this book is recommended for 8th grade and up, with readers left questioning whether Yummy was a criminal due to the crime or a victim of his upbringing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yummy.

January 29, 2020 – Shelved