Silver James's Reviews > Fighting for Elena

Fighting for Elena by Silver James

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: 2020-books-read, books-i-wrote, free-book, kindle-unlimited, kw-stoker, motorcycle, romance, suspense, paranormal, audio-books, auto-buy-series, reread
Read 2 times. Last read January 20, 2021.

Fighting for Elena (Tarpley VFD #1; Police and Fire Operation Alpha) by Silver James 2021 Audio version review: And I just thought it was weird to review my own book before. LISTENING to it? Wow! Trippy. And thrilling. Kudos to Mary Jane Conlon, my narrator. She nailed the characters, even the secondary voices. She's a talented narrator and I'm glad she was chosen to narrate ELENA. The voices, the emotion...it was all terrific. And I have admit, my words sounded pretty dang awesome coming out of her mouth but hey, I'm entitled to be a bit elated. This is my first English language audio book. And yes. I bought a copy so I'm a verified purchaser! Love the story even more that I can listen to it. Still 5 stars, especially now with Ms. Conlon's narration!

2020: I always feel weird--as the author--when it comes to rating/reviewing my own work. I obviously love it or I wouldn't have pushed the publish button. But...I'm also of an age when one simply didn't "vote" for oneself because that would show hubris. (Yes, I am older than dirt...)

And because I am, I'm thrilled that Pops is almost a contemporary. I've never truly written a "silver fox" as a hero, much less considered pairing him with a younger woman and when I got the chance to play in Susan Stoker's Police and Fire: Operation Alpha world, I jumped on the chance of writing about Pops.

How did this all come about? In Susan's book JUSTIC FOR ERIN, there's a wildfire and she introduced 5 local firefighters by nicknames. One of her readers asked if they would ever get their own books. Susan threw open the idea and six of us who occasionally play in her sandbox raised our hands. In almost a year of planning, brainstorming, collaboration, and fun, we came up with six heroes and heroines, six plots, and one major event tying things together.

The awesome thing is, we plan to do it all again this year with a 2021 release of six MORE couples who are part of the Tarpley, Texas Volunteer Fire Department.

I reread the book, for the first time since the editing process. And you know what? I still love it. So, I'm giving myself 5 stars because I helped create a new "world," because I had fun writing this book, and because I happen to think it's a darn good story. Of course, it helps that I brought in crossover characters from my established series. All the more fun. So...I hope you'll give FIGHTING FOR ELENA and the other 5 books a try.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fighting for Elena.

January 29, 2020 – Shelved