A. Harrison's Reviews > Volition

Volition by Chautona Havig

72092521

Rarely do I read sci-fi -- liked a few that I read.
Rarely do I read time-travel novels -- like never.
Often I will read mail-order bride romances -- love them.

Each of those in one story? I've never heard of it. Until Chautona Havig wrote a sci-fi romance. Hmm, the first thought to come to mind when I saw that she had written a sci-fi was "okay, that's nice but not for me." all right, a bit harsh, right?

Until last night at midnight I wanted to read something while falling asleep and I didn't want to start the advance reader copy of The Land Beneath Us until this morning -- The paperback came in the mail, I have to reread it! -- and I wanted to read something I knew I liked, so I scrolled through Mrs. Havig's Amazon author profile, ordered one of her paperbacks (a new Christmas one I haven't read yet!) with a gift card (didn't spend a dime! :D) but wanted to read something then and there.

Of course that led me to see her newest books, one of which was the one I scoffed at not a month before (and only for her will I say that… Any other author I'd be too kind, but I know she'll understand and forgive me … I hope.) so I returned a book in my Kindle Unlimited library that I had yet to read, and dove into a book by my favorite author expecting little -- staying up until around 3 in the morning. I'm regretting that now as I yawn, I should add, but this read was surprising.

Might I suggest you not judge a book by it's genre? (Unless it's horror or magical fantasy and then be careful as you run far away, just sayin'.)

I say that with all the conviction possible. Volition is a one of a kind.

The topics tackled in Volition were not quite what I expected, not that I expected much. The reasons Andi stayed were perfect and yet you get to see a character grow from the pained, anger, grieving person she is after making the choice to stay. There were a few places that are for more mature readers say 17/19 up but they were all innocent, and the ending was perfection.

While I don't normally read sci-fi I do enjoy, recommend, and hope you will check out Volition. It is an intriguing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Volition.

January 28, 2020 – Started Reading