Steph Sinclair's Reviews > The Iron Trial

The Iron Trial by Holly Black
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4642710
's review
Apr 21, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, children-s, middle-grade, scholastic


Why does the blurb read like a Harry Potter re-mix?
104 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Trial.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

03/29/2016 marked as: to-read

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Somewhat. I'm excited that Holly Black is co-writing it though. (And I feel Meh-ish about Cassie Clare co-writing)


Experiment BL626 I want another Harry Potter. I want another Harry Potter. I want another Harry Potter. =D


message 3: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair @Ally, I've yet to read anything by Holly Black, but I do have her Curse Workers books on my Kindle. I just haven't gotten to them.

@Experiment, oh you! Lol. :D


message 4: by Kyle (last edited Apr 21, 2012 05:51PM) (new) - added it

Kyle Definitely read White Cat! Loved it! I feel like the summary sounds like a mix of HP, but it sounded REALLY reminiscint of the front flap of Wicked Lovely.


message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 21, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Personally, I liked her Tithe series better, but the Curse Workers books are enjoyable reads. :P I did read Tithe when I was younger, so I might feel differently if I re-read it again.


message 6: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Steph did I just see that you haven't read anything by Holly Black? I am shocked! Tithe is on my re-read list. I have enjoyed her books ever since. :0)


message 7: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair @Kyle, you are so right. It's the whole three rules thing that gives it that vibe.

@Ally and Mommaseymour, I checked out Tithe from the library a few years ago, but never read it. I know, for shame! Lol.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you ever return it? Lol if you didn't...quite a big fine... :D


message 9: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Ally wrote: "Did you ever return it? Lol if you didn't...quite a big fine... :D"

Lol, yes. I'm a good library patron. :D


Zero vi Britannia Steph wrote: "Why does the blurb read like a Harry Potter re-mix? "

Because it's a Cassandra Clare book.


 Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I'm surprised that your're going to read this series. Like always, I'm ready for the bantering. lol


message 12: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I'm going to try and be good and go in with an open mind. TRY.


 Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Open mind, eh? I'll wish you luck because it's difficult to have an open mind when many thoughts just clot your brain...it happens to me (not to sound sadistic or anything in particular).


message 14: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Yeah, I know what you mean. This one is mostly out of pure curiosity. I'm not a CC fan in that least and disliked all her books. BUT I'm very curious to see how things go when she doesn't write in the Shadowhunter world.


message 15: by Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ (last edited Jul 07, 2013 08:18PM) (new)

 Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I'm the same, but I really liked the first book in the TID series because Cassie's really good at character descriptions. But I'm intrigued with her idea of the family trees. Therefore, I'm going to read a few books related to Jace, Will and Jem junk no matter the crap she's trying to engage us readers in.


message 16: by Giannina (new) - added it

Giannina Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating.


Zero vi Britannia Giannina wrote: "Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating."

Yes, but that's not the problem. Cassandra Clare and her stealing from Harry Potter in the Mortal Instruments and her Harry Potter fanfic are the problems.


message 18: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Giannina wrote: "Can authors not write about kids and magicians anymore? Seriously stop hating."

It's just very ironic given her past. So much irony. Lol. I am far from a hater.


message 19: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Jeremy wrote: "I'm sorry but why does everyone keep saying that about harry potter but the the whole one book for each year kind of thing hello Percy Jackson did that to hello people"

Probably for two reasons: Harry Potter came before Percy Jackson and this is a Cassandra Clare book. She got her start by writing Harry Potter fan fiction. In fact, some say her first series (The Mortal Instruments) borrowed from that fan fiction. So far, those are the only published books she actively written (pretty sure I'm right about this, though, I am not including anthologies). This book would be the first and people are wondering if it too will borrow ideas from Harry Potter since the series that made her popular (and still lines her pockets) did.


Bee {Quite the Novel Idea} I'm not a big fan of Cassandra Clare, but I love Holly Black. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was amazing!


Jessica Because it doesn't.


message 22: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I would disagree.


Crystal (Bookiemoji) It does indeed sound VERY Harry Potterish BUT I will give it a go because....well...curiosity ;-)


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Because it doesn't."

Correction it does.

1. Boy is a supernatural being.

2. There are three people that are two boys and one girl. Just Harry and Co. Why a boy as the MC? Why couldn't the MC be a chick this time around?

3. There's a school of magic?

Hmmm...they sound pretty much the same don't you think?


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Shadowhunerforlife2014 wrote: "Crimson wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Because it doesn't."

Correction it does.

1. Boy is a supernatural being.

2. There are three people that are two boys and one girl. Just Harry and Co. Why a boy as..."


Yup they do. And hello again!! *WAVES*


Jessica Find some random book about magic. They all sound pretty similar.


message 27: by Melodramaticfool (new)

Melodramaticfool I agree, I fear it will be some kind of HP mix, but only time will tell. :)


message 28: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I hope the people saying it's copying Harry Potter are only saying that because they don't like Cassandra Clare, not because books about magic schools can't be written after the success of Harry Potter.


message 29: by Smoodle (new) - added it

Smoodle and look at the cover! its a death eater...
two boys and a girl...
looks and sounds a lot like hp, but im praying it wont be.


message 30: by Sherrie (new) - added it

Sherrie Petersen I think it sounds like Harry Potter meets Half Bad. It's going to be hard to have a unique slant, but those two authors are pretty talented. I'm excited to see what they come up with!


Roderick Never read any holly black books...I just wish someone else co wrote with her instead of...Clare.


message 32: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl I could do with another Potter story. I miss them. I think I will give this a chance.


message 33: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Sweet! That's good that it will surprise readers. :)


message 34: by Moonstruck583 (new)

Moonstruck583 it is killing me that people are saying "the twists at the end were worth it."

... you mean the twists at the end that are so VERY much like Cassandra Clare.... the twists at the end that remind you of when Harry had a bit of Voldemort in him and ended up being a horcrux?

You mean those twists?


message 35: by Moonstruck583 (new)

Moonstruck583 Kyle wrote: "Moonstruck583 wrote: "it is killing me that people are saying "the twists at the end were worth it."

... you mean the twists at the end that are so VERY much like Cassandra Clare.... the twists a..."


If it felt like you were reading fanfiction, that's because it's all Cassandra Clare can do. Callum Hunt is just a recycled version of her Draco Malfoy from her fanfiction days.

Which would be fine, if she would just own up to it.


message 36: by Dani-Marie (new) - added it

Dani-Marie Watson Which part exactly of the blurb is even casually like "Harry Potter"?


message 37: by Dani-Marie (new) - added it

Dani-Marie Watson Which part exactly of the blurb is even casually like "Harry Potter"?


LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :( The blurb doesn't look like an HP remix to me, but the plot screams it.


Natalie Paige You obviously haven't even read the first chapter because it is nothing like Harry Potter. Please read my review and actually give it a try.


LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :( Natalie wrote: "You obviously haven't even read the first chapter because it is nothing like Harry Potter. Please read my review and actually give it a try."

I have read your review, and yes, I agree that people judge way too much off the fact it's a middle grade book about 3 kids and magic. IMHO the cover looks nothing like that of HP, and the characters (minus Tamara) resemble the main cast of Harry Potter less than Percy Jackson. (Aaron is nothing like Ron at all.) And also, the kind of magic is totally different.

However, the similarities just started adding up like bodies in a murder mystery. Okay, so first off, you have an old money bully, who is all high and mighty and thinks our main character is a loser. Well, it's a middle grade novel. They're full of snobs. I mean, mean girls are basically female Draco Malfoys, but it's not like every book/film that has a mean girl is an HP copy.

And then next, you have Call, who has survived a deadly attack by the villain, which should have killed him. Except it didn't. It left him with a scar instead, his broken leg.

And then you have Master Rufus, who is super powerful, and personally mentors Call, Tamara, and Aaron. I can't quite decide if he's more like Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall.

And then you have the Enemy of Death, who is, of course, wanting to live forever. By using the evil magic no one is supposed to use. And he also has a really screwed up face. Like our main antagonist in Harry Potter. (However, it's never explained in HP why Voldemort's face is all messed up. My personal favorite theory is that he had an unfortunate childhood accident that involved a frying pan.)

And then the clincher. (view spoiler)

I had more similarities, except I wrote them on a piece of paper, which I lost.


Natalie Paige Yes but it's not like Harry. Because Voldemorts soul in him was a horcrux... And that's not what is going on in this story at all. Because as far as we know now there is no Callum left... so nothing like Harry. Also Draco didn't come from old money he just grew up knowing about the wizard world unlike Harry. There are similarities but no copying. There could technically be similarities between Harry Potter and any other book if you make it that way, as I said in my review.


Natalie Paige Yes but it's not like Harry. Because Voldemorts soul in him was a horcrux... And that's not what is going on in this story at all. Because as far as we know now there is no Callum left... so nothing like Harry. Also Draco didn't come from old money he just grew up knowing about the wizard world unlike Harry. There are similarities but no copying. There could technically be similarities between Harry Potter and any other book if you make it that way, as I said in my review.


Natalie Paige Also I was referring to the person who wrote this review not you... So what is your point in all this


LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :( Dani-marie wrote: "Which part exactly of the blurb is even casually like "Harry Potter"?"

Not much of it. At least in my opinion.


Kellie Warrior page 84 so far and yep… very harry-potter-esque. I didn't pick up on it as much as I think i should have 'initially', but the characters, from the descriptions to their personalities (c/mon, you expect me to believe that Jasper ISN'T based on Draco Malfoy? ) to the way in which they interact… it screams Potter Fan Fics. I think if harry potter didn't keep jumping into my head, this would be a lot more enjoyable! Not that it's bad! It's actually quite good, and I am enjoying it! But it's kind of like a virus, the similarities have seeped in and spoilt it.


message 46: by Cal (new)

Cal Because Clare initially wrote her universe as HP fan fiction?


Grace Xie I don't see the similarities in the summary with HP at all. With an exception of a magic school and a magical element to the story, I don't see any similarities in the summary. Also the story wasn't very similar to HP either. But I guess this book just isn't everyones cup of tea.


back to top