N.T. Embe's Reviews > The Client

The Client by John Grisham

Apr 21, 2012

bookshelves: suspense, thriller
Recommended to N.T. by: My uncle and mother.
Recommended for: People who like smart kids/protagonists!! Thriller, law and cop story lovers!

YAAAAAYYY! I LOVED THIS BOOK! Man it was an enjoyable read! I don't feel like critiquing everything so I'm just going to ramble it all out. The writing was really smooth. Smooth like butter on hot toast or cream in your coffee. Absolutely impeccable writing! You just fly through the book. It runs like water on calm beaches. And the KID. The KID that's the main CHARACTER. HNNNNNNG. THIS KID IS SO AWESOOOOOOMMMMEEEEE. He's the smartest kid I have EVER met! He deserves ALL the good things in the world! I want this kid to run for president. I VOTE FOR MARRRK. MAAAAWWWWK. RUN FOR PRESIDEEEENNNTTT.

Alright, fangirling aside. The book was absolutely an enjoyable read. It's got a lot of law stuff involved in it, shows you the bull that happens with our court systems and stunts the government likes to pull to tie up the innocent and squash them before they can even have a chance of freeing themselves. It's a nice look into that kind of two-faced, unfair crap. But it teaches you about how they think, and I liked that aspect of it. I always knew court situations can be unfair, but actually getting to see a bit of how it works is nice. Details are always nice.

The best part is watching how this eleven year old kid gets past all these bozos in the FBI, the mafia, the courts, the jailors, and more. It's such a fun ride. Seriously, this kid is so smart. You not only get to see the innocence of him as he's boxed in by the crap in law enforcement, but you get to see how his own normal kid-logic gets him through all of that nonsense and BSing time after time. I mean, the kid finds his own lawyer and does brilliant with this partner at his side. If only for him and the lawyer, you've gotta read this book. The characters absolutely are the shining light in everything. Who cares that it's a real life situation when you've got such great characters to read about?!

Definitely check it out. Library it if it's not your thing, but give it a shot. It's the best in entertainment value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Client.

April 21, 2012 – Started Reading
April 21, 2012 – Shelved
April 21, 2012 –
page 0
0.0% "I need to exercise my brain. My mother loved this. My uncle loaded me down with about 20 more books of this genre. So might as well start going through them. Here we go then! Yay for psychological thrillers! <333"
April 21, 2012 –
page 27
4.69% "Well, John Grisham never fails to disappoint! Chapter one's done and it's already all-attention demanding and sucks you right in. MAN I love these types of books!"
May 1, 2012 –
page 48
8.33% "...this is gonna spell trouble. *Sighs* Sure enough."
page 84
14.58% "Wow. Ambulance chasers. These guys are a bunch of creeps. -__-"
page 88
15.28% "Don't do it, kid. He's a crook if ever I saw one."
page 89
15.45% "Yeeeep. Sounds like a politician. -_- Arrogant prick."
page 90
15.63% "*Laughs* I think I like McThune already! Of course who knows how long that'll last. All these people are triple sided. Can't know if you can trust 'em until the very end of things when you've been there to see it for yourself. -3-"
page 118
20.49% "I like this Reggie Love woman. She's not a sleazebag. :3 <3"
page 134
23.26% "Oh my God! XD I am in love with this femme lawyer! Reggie, you are AWESOME!!! Totally kickin' it! YEAHHHH~! You go girl! Whoo!"
page 162
28.13% "*Groans miserably* This SUCKS. If EVERYONE is talking about this, it's gonna spread outside the office, and then into the city, and then the damn mobster is gonna know! This kid's life is in danger as of now. *Grits her teeth* What unprofessional pigs."
page 172
29.86% "*Grits teeth tightly* ...see what I mean? These people aren't the crap you see on TV. Less than a few hours, and they already know all there is to know about where to find the kid. *Groans* ...why are people so stupid? DX"
page 186
32.29% "Geez... First thing I would do would be to tell as soon as I was certain my family and I were safely kept away from them. If they're planning on taking me out anyway, might as well take them down with me. DX"
page 211
36.63% "...I hope to God that Sprite wasn't drugged. But I'm pretty damn sure it was. *Groans quietly*"
page 223
38.72% "Reggie, I love you! If I were a man, I'd ask you to marry me right here and now. <33333"
page 250
43.4% "I like Mark's ability to judge the character of a person! I think he's spot on! 8D <3"
page 251
43.58% "I've been thinking this the entire time, and now you're going "to sit on the porch" and I'm freaaaaakin' out here because I'm just waiting for someone to shoot you both. DX< DON'T GO ON THE PORCH."
page 254
44.1% "*Sighs with quiet relief* No shootings. Maybe I'm just paranoid. BUT I HAVE REASON TO BE. DX"
page 285
49.48% "This is gonna be bad."
page 307
53.3% " OH MY GOOOOD. THIS KIIIID. XDDDD He ordered FIVE. HUNDRED. DOLLARS. worth of FOOD for that jerk?! PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. XDDDDD ...he's so never leaving jail now. *Still cracking up*"
May 3, 2012 –
page 390
67.71% "Teeheehee! XD Gotta love it when the police force actually does something right! Go Byrd! You kick ass! 8D"
page 441
76.56% "Aww! That was sweet! Clint gave her a kiss on the cheek. His relationship with Reggie is absolutely adorable. X333"
page 443
76.91% "I love a woman who takes action even when the situation is impossible. Reggie, you're so awesome. "
page 456
79.17% "Oh my gosh, Reggie and Clint!!!! XDDDD I LOVE YOU TWO!!!!!! "
page 467
81.08% "That... last line was... ominous. Oh no... Now I'm worried. DX"
page 472
81.94% "I love this kid. "
May 6, 2012 –
page 493
85.59% "Ah frig. Now they know where they are."
May 6, 2012 –
page 566
98.26% "sdiugfdsifydsiudysfs AHHHHHH!!! THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOOOOOOD! MUST. READ. MORE. GOOD. BOOOOOOKS!!!!"
May 6, 2012 – Finished Reading