Juli's Reviews > Nineteen

Nineteen by Makenzie Campbell

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this poetry collection in exchange for an honest review.

This poetry collection features poems composed when the author was 19 years old. I think due to that I found myself only drawn to certain poems. Many felt very teen angsty and centered around topics that are important to you when you’re a teenager, and let’s face it I am far from that by now. A few though seemed incredibly mature and timeless – they most often dealt with family and non-romantic relationships. Those, in my opinion, let the author shine. It’s clear how talented Makenzie Campbell is and I foresee her influencing the poetry genre quite a bit in the future. Indeed, I am looking forward to following her personal growth and development. She already manipulates language in a way that hits you deeply, that makes you think, and that challenges you to look within yourself. I can only imagine where she goes from here. Until then, I will be checking out her other publications as this book has made me curious about her art. Overall, Nineteen is well-worth your time if you’re going through heartbreak, romantic loss, are in the throes of transitioning from childhood to adulthood, or just want to get a better sense of how a 19-year-old experiences such events. I, for one, am glad I have this behind me though, and maybe that was the reason why I couldn’t easily relate to these poems. But isn’t it amazing how profoundly subjective poetry feels to us?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen.

January 28, 2020 – Shelved