Beverly Diehl's Reviews > Better Off Red

Better Off Red by Rebekah Weatherspoon

5641908

bookshelves: coming-of-age, contemporary-womens-fiction, erotica, friendship, lgbt, paranormal, romance, vampires

Vampire are Not My Thing. Lesbians - whatever floats your boat, but they don't "do it" for me. Sorority sisters? Like, NO, d'uh!

So I expected this book to be a sludge, hoping to find some slight thing I could praise, because I know the author personally and I wanted to find something, anything, nice to say about her debut novel.

Instead, it was cover to cover pleasure. I wouldn't have read this book if I didn't know the author, but I can honestly say that I loved this book despite my normal indifference to its main elements.

Ginger, the lead character, isn't really "into" the whole sorority thing, either (girl after my own heart), but agrees to accompany her roommate Amy through 'rushing,' with an eye to protecting her. She find herself joining a very different kind of sorority, and being paired with Camila. I don't want to give it away, but I will say that Camila is a fairly young vampire, despite being very powerful. She makes mistakes, which lead to some interesting plot twists, but also allow the relationship between her and Ginger to be more of love between equals, than between one superpowerful being and one naive young person, which I very much liked.

There were a number of secondary characters and B-plots which I know will turn into interesting stories as the series continues. And the sex scenes were sizzling hot; I did not expect that they would be so, uhm, INTERESTING, to a person who doesn't swing that way. They are. *fans self, gets cold drink* If you enjoy erotic fiction of any sort, read this book. You will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Better Off Red.

Finished Reading