Minna's Reviews > Witches Incorporated

Witches Incorporated by K.E. Mills

Apr 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, feminism-and-women-literature

I might be damaged from too much Game of Thrones watching, but I'm getting really fed up with this ongoing trend in fantasy literature that women have to be seen as inferior and weaker to men because the story is supposed to take place in a time before time or some other earlier earthlike time where women were under the pressure of the patriarchal boot. This book is obviously trying to highlight the issue, but I'm not feeling sympathetic even as a woman when the heroines are constantly fighting among eachother and belittling eachother for their looks or mental capabilities. Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of banter, but it just seems to me that all they do, and mostly the women, is take turns to bully eachother. I don't get it. It's not funny.

This book had a definitive middle book in a trilogy feel to it. Plotwise it could have done much more with the things given to it. Even though my danger sense was tingling and even though some drama indeed occurred, it never really felt as if anything was at stake for the protagonists. Not like in the first book which made me fear, despair, cry and get angry on the behalf of the characters. Nothing in this book gave me the same sense of hopelessness. It was a hard act to follow. I hope the story picks up in the last book and gives the women of these books a chance to brave real danger and prove themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches Incorporated.

April 21, 2012 – Started Reading
April 21, 2012 – Shelved
April 21, 2012 –
page 106
23.19% "Everything so far feels like the introductory part of the book. Not bored yet."
April 23, 2012 –
page 179
39.17% "Sometimes I wonder why "gels" have to fight so much and be so mean to eachother. I understand the need for drama, but this is so common it's a trope."
April 25, 2012 –
page 220
48.14% "Is there any pie Monk hasn't accidentally stuck his fingers in?"
April 26, 2012 –
page 274
59.96% "This book gives me the same sense of big things about to go down that I get right before an oncoming thunderstorm. I'm almost unwilling to read on."
May 2, 2012 –